In Ayurveda, Haritaki is wonder medicine and is used to cure many types of diseases.Terminalia chebula herb has astringent,rejuvenating,laxative and purgative properties.
What is Haritaki?
This is a wonder fruit grown on Haritaki Tree(Terminalia Chebula Tree). It has unique characteristics which make him universal remedy of all diseases in Ayurveda.This is on of the major component of wonder Ayurveda medicine known as Triphala Powder. Haritaki Trees are found in deciduous forests of India, especially in the northern region.
Fruits, Roots, and bark of this tree is used to prepare herbal medicines. Haritaki Fruit is a drupe-like fruit vary in size between 2 to 4.5 cm length and 1.2 to 2.5 cm in breadth having five longitudinal ridges.
It is called by different names in different languages in India like “Harad” in Urdu and Hindi, “Kadukkai” in Tamil,”Hirada” in Marathi, “Hilikha” in Assamese and “Horitoky” in Bengali.
Effect on Doshas (Humors):
- It is very useful in the vitiation of all three senses of humor, but it is particularly used to balance Vata (Air humor).
- It helps to balance the Air(Vata) if taken with Ghee(Buttery Oil).
- It helps to balance the Fire(Pitta) if taken with Shakara (Sugar/Coarse Jaggery).
- It helps to balance the Water(Kapha) if taken with Lavan(Rock Salt).
- It helps to balance all the three Doshas that is Vata, Pitta, and Kapha if taken with Gud (Jaggery).
Haritaki also helps to improve the digestion. It detoxifies and nourishes all the body tissues. Following are some uses of Haritaki according to Ayurveda:
- It helps to detoxify and nourish all the status (body tissues).
- it is best for purifying the channels of the body that is called “srotoshodhan.”
- It helps to improve the digestive system & helps in healthy digestion of food.
- It helps to strengthen the nerves & five senses (sight, hearing, touch, smell & taste).
- It helps in maintaining normal body temperature.
- It helps in strengthening the female reproductive organs like a uterus.
Here Are Some Of The More Specific Benefits of Haritaki:
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Reduction in constipation
- Purification of the digestive system. Haritaki contains Tannin, which aids in detoxification and cleansing.
- Cleansing of the urinary tract so that infections are reduced and the risk is eliminated.
- Weight loss. This is a major benefit of Haritaki. Haritaki, by cleansing the intestinal tract increases absorption of minerals. It speeds up the metabolism which in turn reduces body fat content. If you have already been on diet or weight loss program then Haritaki can assist in keeping that weight off.
- Haritaki aids in the treatment of Diabetes. One of the benefits of haritaki is that it contains chebulic acid, which increases the very vital production of insulin which is generated by the pancreas gland. This has the effect of lowering blood sugar levels throughout the body.
- Skin problems. Haritaki benefits the skin by being a cleanser. Just as it works on the intestines, so it works on the face, rejuvenating skin and clearing acne. It also works on rashes, sunburn and eczema. Haritaki benefits for skin.
- Heart conditions. As the purity of the blood increases, the heart muscles grow stronger. The clean blood has the effect of stopping the build up of fat in the artery, especially the coronary artery. When these effects take place, they lead to a reduction in blood pressure, a strong heart and clear arteries.
- Helps people with enlarged livers caused by such issues as alcohol, and who are suffering from higher likelihood of developing jaundice or hepatitis.